Monday, May 2, 2011

Ping Kee Thai Restaurant

My first meal out since moving to my new place was a great success! While I am just down the street from my last apartment, there's so much more to eat here and everything so far has been pretty amazing.

Saturday night I stopped by Ping Kee Thai Restaurant, a restaurant that caught my eye since the day I was moving in. There are loads of newspaper clippings and pictures adorning the walls, and the sign looked pretty authentic. It only opens at night, from 6pm - midnight, but it sure gets busy then. Luckily we managed to grab the last free table. A lot of the customers seemed to be regulars living around the area - always a good sign!

The menu is pretty extensive with a long list of BBQ items, rice & noodles, and seafood. Not quite knowing where to start, we solicited the help of the couple to our left (regulars) as everything they had on their table looked absolutely delicious.

First, we ordered a number of their BBQ dishes which were all prepped and grilled in the open kitchen.

whole chicken wing, lobster balls, and grilled scallops ($15, $10, $30)

My favourite were the lobster balls, though next time I think I'll get the cuttlefish ones instead. Not hard to mess up but they had a nice addition of peanut sauce (tasted like satay sauce). The chicken wings were quite good too, though a little too oily for me. I wasn't a big fan of the scallops though. Flavour was there but texture seemed a bit off to me.

chilli minced pork salad $68

This was delicious!! It's pretty spicy (even after asking for it to be less so) but it was dangerously addicting. Each mouthful put a huge smile on my face. The couple told us that this was one of their favourite dishes here and their recommendation was spot on :)

jumbo prawns in 'green' curry $98

Despite loving the previous dish, this was the one that really blew me away. The price was slightly more than on the menu because they said their order of prawns were especially big that day. I think that's a bit of an understatement - the prawns were huge! They were so juicy and cooked perfectly. And the curry was amazing doused in rice. I'd go back again and again for this. Totally worth getting my hands filthy dirty for :)

Super happy and full after the meal. Can't wait to be back again and try their salted fish - almost every table ordered one and the whole fish only costs $78/$98 depending on size!

---
Ping Kee Thai Restaurant
155-157, Third Street
Sai Ying Pun
Hong Kong